The most common signs and symptoms of mold’s impact on your kids include:
- Respiratory problems. When children inhale mold spores, they will experience symptoms along the lines of seasonal allergies. This can include shortness of breath, wheezing, runny and itchy nose, nasal congestion, sore throat, coughing, and sneezing. If your child has asthma, inhalation of mold spores will trigger more frequent attacks.
- Neurological problems. Since children’s immune systems aren’t fully developed, inhalation of mold spores can damage neurons in the brain and impair it’s function. Symptoms include disorientation and confusion, short attention span, dizziness, headaches, memory problems, anxiety, trembling, and slowed reflexes.
- Skin irritation. Just like with adults, children will experience skin irritation. Their skin, however, is much more delicate and sensitive so their irritation will be worse and be in the form of large, noticeable rashes.
- Eye irritation. Mold spores cause eye inflammation which result in watery eyes, itchy eyes, bloodshot eyes, and blurry vision.